Monday 20 October 2008

My new Moustache: Yes or No?

To 'tache or not to 'tache, that is the question I am asking you.

So now I can reveal the strange, bizarre, nay malevolent, transformation that has taken over me these past few weeks…

Rather like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, during my enforced incarceration at home with the damned leg this past month, I haven’t really bothered to shave that much. So, at some vague point, one day while I was wandering around the flat wondering where to die, I just decided to start… growing a moustache (for the first time in my life - Ever, I should stress)…and it will probably be the last time.

Now I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking: Ray…No! - It’s like you without a bow tie, it’s Just Not Done.

And I must admit at the moment it’s still growing roughly and makes me look more like a Second World War spiv or (on a bad day) Adolf Hitler, rather than what I secretly wish to look like: a World War I gigolo or Stage-Door Johnny.

And, yes, it does make me look much older. And everyone I know, especially the women, tell me how much they absolutely hate it. But don’t you get it?: that’s all the more reason to continue growing it.

Anyway, you decide…
[click on the pictures to get larger, more frightening, versions]



These are from the 11th October...















The reason I am posting this up today (Monday) is that tomorrow (21st) Truefitt & Hill are doing a commemorative day: a Shave for the price of one penny (plus 30% off their 1805 and Trafalgar fragrance lines, including online). Let’s just say, I’ve booked in my shave for 3pm and shall let them attack the ‘tache, see if they can’t bring some shape to it. If not, we’ll decide on a swift post-mortem on the day.

So let’s see what their sculpting skills plus a touch of moustache wax can do for me tomorrow.



and these were taken today (20th),,,






Does my bum look like Hitler in this?...




Don’t worry, it will probably be all over by Christmas.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had a mustache for 30+ years. My 20 year old son, nor does my wife of 27 years know what I look like without one. I personally think you look good in it.

csfalk said...

Yes! You look a bit like Charles Ryders father in the 80's version ov Brideshead Revisited, if you dont mind me saying.

The Honourable Husband said...

You're Hercule Poirot. You're Tennessee Williams. You're Bruce Willis without his toupe. You're not Hitler, trust me on that one.

GRK. said...

I'm with the Headbanger - there's nothing Adolfy about it. I can detect a touch of Arthur Lowe & a smidgeon of Michael Sheard as Mr. Bronson (minus the toupee, thankfully!), but no trace of that redfaced shouty short@rse.

Jo said...

How about a pencil line moustache?